Thursday, December 31, 2020

Vintage backgrounds: Tony Gonzalez Redux

 Eagle-eyed readers might have noticed the '65 Tony Gonzalez among the cards I got recently from Johnny's Trading Spot, and that it was almost the same photo of the '66 Gonzalez card I wrote about, assuming the photo was from 1965. I guess I was wrong!

I suppose it is possible that Topps took a very similar photo two years in a row, but I have to assume that the two photos were taken in the same session, as his pose and location are so similar. They have to be at least a short time apart, however. The boy on the '66 card with the blue shirt, open with a white undershirt underneath, appears to have his back turned on the '65. The big difference is the row of men with straw hats on the '65, who are nowhere to be found on the '66. Perhaps the photo on the '66 was taken first, and the men took their seats before the photo on the '65 was taken.
#22 was still John Herrnstein in 1964, so that would still be him in the dugout.


1 comment:

  1. This is another one (or in this case, two) that I would've never noticed had it not been pointed out to me.

    ReplyDelete