Sunday, April 8, 2018

Derrick May on baseball cards

Outfielder Derrick May played ten seasons in the major leagues, mostly for the Cubs and Astros. In 797 games he hit .271 with 52 HR and 310 RBI. A long-time hitting coach, he now writes a baseball blog called DMay's Hard 90. He kindly answered my questions on baseball cards.

"In 1989, I believe I was asked to take a photo by a young photographer so I did. That photograph got him a job with Topps and he became a full time photographer for them. I ran into him about 25 years later and he told me this story and how I helped him put his kids through college. So that was my favorite baseball card story. 
My favorite card was my 1st card. It think it was a split card of rookies. Myself and Mike Roesler."


Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment