Thursday, July 26, 2012

Gary Mota on baseball cards

Manuel "Gary" Mota Jr. played six seasons of professional baseball. In his debut season in 1992, he hit .291 with 23 HR and 89 RBI for Asheville. Unfortunately, injuries prevented him from making the major leagues. Now a private baseball instructor in Tennessee, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"A friend of mine got me into collecting them @ Fullerton College (90). When I got drafted I invested 40k in cases of 89 score football, 90 baseball leaf. Tripled my money in a few years.  After that, I didn't have time to collect or invest more because of my career. Had a great run.

I used to enjoy the error cards back then. To this day I still wonder if the card companies printed them this way on purpose.

My favorite card is probably my 1992 Upper Deck Minor League Player of the Year card, in which I'm pointing a bat as if it is a rifle and the photographer took the shot. Wish I can find some of these for my son."
Thanks! I don't have that card, but I do have his regular 1992 Upper Deck Minors card.

No comments:

Post a Comment