Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spike Owen on baseball cards

Spike Owen played thirteen years in the major leagues as a shortstop for the Mariners, Red Sox, Expos, Yankees and Angels. In 1990 he set a National League record for errorless games at shortstop. He now puts that knowledge to good use as the Infield Coordinator for the Texas Rangers. He kindly shared with me his thoughts on baseball cards.

"I would say my first card is my favorite. To make it to the big leagues was a dream come true and my first card with the Mariners was pretty special. I did collect the box sets of cards for 84-86. Not sure why I stopped. It has been such a long time since I played I can't even remember a lot of my cards. They all were special in their own way and I always looked forward when new cards came out to see what was chosen for me."

Thanks! As a Yankee fan I remember him scoring the winning run on a walkoff hit on the last day of the 1993 season, ending that year on a high note and foreshadowing future excitement for Yankee fans. Here he is in pinstripes on a 1994 Donruss card.

1 comment:

  1. How did you get in touch with Spike? I've been trying to get his autograph for years with no luck.

    ReplyDelete