Sunday, January 10, 2021

Fuji sends cards that reach for the sky

 I got a very nice package of cards this week from Fuji. It started from my recent comment that I was interested in the New York buildings from the Allen & Ginter Reach for the Sky insert set. Fuji sent me this great Empire State Building card.

The building on the lower right side of the card is where I worked from January 2009 until March 2020 when Covid made me a full-time work-from-home employee. The buildings on the right side of the card were what I would see when looking out the window of our main conference room, at about this height from the street. So this card makes me weirdly nostalgic for sitting in meetings waiting for them to end.

The rest of the package was very Yankees focused. Some great cards here including a 1960 Johnny Blanchard.
My favorite one is the Marv Throneberry card which appears to be spring training action with water right past the third base line. Sure enough, Al Lang Stadium, where the Yankees trained during Marvelous Marv's time with the team, had it's third base line just across the street from Tampa Bay.
This was actually my favorite card in the package, as I was forced to do some sleuthing to figure out what the heck it was.
Turns out it's a 1975 Fleer Cloth Pennant Sticker. You can read all about it on the Fleer Sticker Project blog. Very cool oddball item.

Some of the cards Fuji sent me that I had already. He sent me a bunch of Yankees from the 1993 Upper Deck All Time Heroes set, but I already have the full set so that is available for trade, as are the three early '70s cards below.






4 comments:

  1. Glad the cards arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the title of this post, I thought I was about to see cards featuring bandits and Wild West outlaws. But these cards are nice, too! Pretty cool info about Al Lang Stadium as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nostalgic for boring meetings? Weird!

    ReplyDelete