Monday, August 12, 2019

Some highlights

Here are some highlights from a weekend of going through boxes. I still have about 8,000 more cards to look through just in the "assorted" boxes (as opposed to junk wax only or hockey only). I'm pulling a lot of hockey out of the "assorted" boxes - if someone is willing to trade hockey for baseball and has specific team or player or set needs, let me know. I won't try to be comprehensive but I can probably put something decent together.

And of course if you see baseball you need, let me know as well. I've seen some comments already and will be looking out for those people.

Anyway, some highlights:

I noticed that this guy (or guys - there were two 20-something brothers at the house) put the better hockey cards in sleeves, which is good because I wouldn't know them otherwise. These will probably stay separate if I do a bulk sale of the hockey cards, as useful hockey trade bait.
 I found a couple of vintage hockey cards, and a couple more I've found since I took this photo. I'm keeping anything pre-junkwax era as tradebait as well, including that 1973-1974 Pat Quinn "autographed" by a child.
 A few X-Files cards, if anyone collects that.
 I've never had a Latin American baseball card before. This is from a 1994 Cuban League set published in Canada.
 Here's a variety of refractors and serial-numbered cards. Nice surprises in free boxes of "mostly late 1980s commons".
 A whole bunch of beautiful Sports Illustrated cards with great vintage images.
 Speaking of vintage, I actually got some! I needed both of these 1977 Hostess cards. I will trim the extraneous cardboard.
 There was lots of 1980s-early-1990s Post and Bazooka cards. For these, as with just about everything else in the packages, the big stars have been weeded out. In fact often times it looks like the contents of a pack were scanned once for stars, then dumped into boxes without even removing the ads.
 More examples of shiny card sets represented in these boxes.
 Even more, with the really nice UD Reflections set.
 I've come across a few hundred basketball cards. All are up for trade except this one, my one and only basketball keeper:

2 comments:

  1. I'm definitely interested in the 2003-04 Topps parallels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photography in the Sport Illustrated set is awesome! And the Menendez brothers card is cool too.

    ReplyDelete