Thursday, August 1, 2019

1981 Topps Claudell Washington

The front: Washington was a longtime Yankee – it’s weird to see him in a Mets uniform from his brief time there.

The back: Washington had been traded to the Mets two weeks earlier. Before that game, he had been 1-for-17 with the Mets.
The player: Outfielder Claudell Washington was a steady, if unspectacular, outfielder with some power and some speed. He played seventeen seasons for seven teams, mostly the A’s, White Sox, Braves and Yankees. In 1,912 games he hit .278 with 164 HR, 824 RBI and 312 SB. His best season was 1975, when he hit .308 with 10 HR, 77 RBI and 40 SB for the A’s.

The man: After his career Washington owned a construction company. Sadly, he is now battling prostate cancer, for which he recently discontinued treatment. Asked about the cancer, Washington said “If I go tomorrow, I’m good. I’m at total peace with my life.”

My collection: I have 54 of his cards, from 1975 to 1990. I would be interested in trading for 1989 Sportflics #75.

No comments:

Post a Comment