Friday, January 22, 2016

Ricky Barrett on baseball cards


Ricky Barrett pitched in the Twins organization from 2002 to 2008. In 199 games he went 30-16 with a 3.35 ERA.Now a mortgage loan officer at First Priority Financial in Sacramento, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"My very first card I ever had signed was a Donruss 1990 Mark McGwire All Star card. The funny story about it is that I handed it to him right side up facing me and he didn't bother to turn it around to sign. So he signed it upside down. Still have that card on my desk in my office. Another great story was again at the Coliseum in Oakland when the A's were playing against Cleveland. Greg Swindell was standing in the bullpen and started to sign autographs. He came over and signed my card and asked if I wanted to play catch. I didn't bring my glove with me and so I had to borrow my friend's that came with me to the game. Well my friend was right handed. Greg, having noticed this, gave me his glove to use and he used my friends. We played catch for a few minutes and then he signed the ball we were throwing with. One of the cooler moments of my childhood. My favorite card of myself would have to be the Upper Deck Jersey card from 2002. I don't really collect anymore, although I do still have most of my collection as a kid stored in a very old Michael Jordan shoe box. I believe it was the Jordan IV's. (I do collect Jordan shoes now, lol)"

Thanks! I don't have that card, but here is one I do have from 2005 Topps.



No comments:

Post a Comment