Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Jim Foster on baseball cards

Catcher Jim Foster played eight seasons of professional baseball, mostly in the Orioles organization. In 770 games he hit .273 with 71 HR and 426 RBI. Now Associate Head Coach & Recruiting Coordinator at Boston College, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"One of the best experiences of my life was getting my first baseball card, its something you dream about having one day and when it actually happens it is pretty amazing, something you never forget.

One of my favorite cards is an action shot of me catching in the Carolina League for the Frederick Keys, I had a big smile on my face you can see how much I enjoyed playing in that shot.  It was a fun season, great group of guys.  They all are pretty special to me.

I collected when I was a kid, I remember my grandfather saying if I found Billy Almon's rookie card he would buy me another set, I looked and looked for it and found it, then he got me the full set for the next year.
I still have people at the ballparks we go to approach me with cards from when I played, it is very flattering and humbling to still be asked."

Thanks! I don't have either of those cards, but here is one from my collection.

1 comment: