Friday, March 1, 2013

David Walling on Baseball Cards

David Walling was the Yankees' first-round draft pick in 1999, and pitched four years in their system. His best year was 2000, when he went 7-2 with a 1.99 ERA for Tampa. Now the owner of The Walling Group, a real estate investment company in Arizona, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I don't have any stories but thought it was cool when they did cards with multiple players on them.  I had a card done that one of my friends was on so it was pretty cool.

My favorite card was when Topps did a series on where you are from and they did a card of me with the cliffs and ocean of San Diego in the background.  I've always liked that card…
I don't collect cards but several people collected mine for me and told me I would appreciate it later because I never cared to have any when I played.  They were right and I do appreciate having them now."

Thanks! As far as I can tell, the only cards he shares with other players are from 2000 and 2001 Topps. Not sure if his friend is Mike Paradis, Scott Sobkowiak, or Ben Sheets.
 
 

1 comment: