Monday, March 19, 2012

Bruce Robinson on baseball cards

Catcher Bruce Robinson played ten years of professional baseball, including three years in the major leagues with Oakland and the Yankees. He is the brother of former Padres outfield Dave Robinson and the inventor of the hinged flap on the throwing shoulder of the catcher's chest protector, known as the "Robby Pad." Now a singer, songwriter and guitarist (check out his website Bruce Robinson Music), he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
It was always fun to see the different cards that were published each season. The funniest card Ii can tell you about was one from the 1979 Columbus Clippers, the AAA affiliate of the NY Yankees. I am listed as a catcher, but put on a fielder’s glove and posed fielding a ground ball. The photographer didn’t know the difference and took the photo, submitted it and it passed the editing process.

Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
My first major league card, 1979 Topps rookie card is my favorite. Dwayne Murphy and Alan Wirth are on the card with me.

Do you collect baseball cards?
I never did collect cards as a kid. My collection consists of only my cards from my 10 seasons of pro baseball. I do have my older brother's rookie card from the SD Padres. He played briefly with the Padres in 1970 and 1971.

Thanks! I couldn't find a picture of the Clippers card, but he sent me a picture of the major league cards of him and his brother.

Here are some other great pictures he sent me:

With Mickey Mantle.

His chest protector in the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

As a Yankee in 1979.

No comments:

Post a Comment