Saturday, March 5, 2011

Rich Tunison on baseball cards

Rich Tunison played five seasons in the Royals and Twins organizations. His best season was 1990, when he hit .300 with 8 HR and 86 RBI at Appleton. Now a salesman for Coastal Blinds in Florida, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"The weirdest thing I ever saw regarding cards was one of my 1990 Appleton Foxes cards had a huge mistake on it. They mixed up the pictures with myself and ironically my roomate Colin Ryan. His name and stats, my picture and vice versa. We were always told we looked alike, but this was extreme. I wish either of us had played in the big leagues because that card mistake would have had some value.

All in all as I am 16+ years removed from professional baseball I still receive letters in the mail from collectors wanting me to sign my cards, which makes me feel great. My 9 year old daughter Allyson gets a big kick out of it and has started to take interest in becoming a card collector herself. My favorite card is my 1991 Upper Deck, taken in left field during pre-game at Birmingham Barons Stadium."

Thanks! I couldn't find a picture of the Upper Deck card, but here is his 1991 Classic Best.

No comments:

Post a Comment