Saturday, March 26, 2011

Andy Shibilo's favorite cards

Andy Shibilo pitched 12 seasons of professional baseball, winning 35 games and saving 41. His best season was 2001, when he went 10-2 with 15 saves and a 1.96 ERA for the Padres' Lake Elsinore team. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I was a huge collector of cards in the '80's. I think I had nearly every baseball and football card from the decade. I even had a decent basketball card collection. Growing up in NY, my favorite cards were Mattingly rookies, Strawberry, and Gooden rookies. In particular, the 83 Topps Traded Strawberry was a prized possession of mine. And you could add the 82 Topps Lawrence Taylor to that list. Those are all pretty typical of the period but one of favorite cards was unique. A 1982 Topps Pascual Perez error card (no position on bottom corner of card). For some reason, I thought this card was pretty cool. I even had the Topps baseball sticker sets and albums from the early to mid '80's. Add in the Hostess, Burger King, and Drakes sets and there wasn't much I missed during this period.

Another memorable card of mine was a 1968 Bob Bolin. I bet nobody else has said that beside the Bolin family. My dad was a big Giants fan growing up so when we ran across this card at a shop, we had to get it. It was in poor condition so I think we paid about 5 cents. As a 10 year old in 1986, I regarded this 1968 card as an artifact. I thought any card from the era of Mays, Mantle and Aaron was sure to valuable."


Thanks! I have one card of Shibilo, from 2002 Donruss Rookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment