Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Can you help a baseball artist with a basketball question?

Today I got an email from baseball artist Graig Kreindler, a renowned baseball artist whose work can be seen at the Yogi Berra Museum, the National Jewish Sports Hall of Fame, the Bob Feller Museum, and several books. Graig, (yes, he was named after Graig Nettles) , is known for his meticulous research into his subjects, and is looking to branch out into basketball, and sent me this email below. Perhaps one of you readers can help pinpoint the exact date or the photographer of the Michael Jordan picture below?

"Do you know anything about the photo that appears on Michael Jordan's '86-'87 Fleer RC? What I'm trying to find out is a possible date for the dunk. Obviously it's like finding a needle in a haystack, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. The shot's definitely from his rookie season of '84-'85, as that was the only season he was with the Bulls while they had that old style jersey. The game's also against the NJ Nets. Other than that, I know nothing. I've narrowed it down to a few different dates from his rookie season (12/14, 1/16, 4/13), but haven't gotten any further.

The reason I ask is because I'm a painter who specializes in vintage baseball scenes, and I was hoping to branch out into some of the other sports. I can't think of a better image to recreate than that Jordan shot. If you'd like to see any examples of what I do, my website is in my signature.


So yeah, even if it's just a photographer's name, any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Graig --
http://www.graigkreindler.com
"

Here is the Fleer card, as well as a larger version of the picture sent to me by Graig.

2 comments:

  1. It does look like a Nets home game, if that helps narrow it down at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad he couldn't just call Fleer and ask, I'm sure all those records are long gone and I doubt UD has any knowledge to help.

    ReplyDelete