Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Vintage star card roundup

It's been a few weeks since I did one of these posts. I've been feeling a little more ambivalent about the weekly low-grade Greg Morris auctions. I'm not sure if they're getting more popular or what but it's been harder to get good cards at the prices I've been used to. A couple of times recently I've been late in the auction, and it looked like I might only end up with a couple of commons that wouldn't justify the $5 flat rate shipping, so I upped some of my bids. I never used to have to do that. I might be approaching the point where I stop doing these, but honestly it's still a lot of fun, and I'm not really spending more total, just a bit more per card.

This one was three weeks ago. Not a whole lot of star power - my favorite card here is the famous '55 Bowman Gene Baker, with the bandage on his head.

The following week the biggest highlight was a '34 Goudey of Yankees backup catcher Arndt Jorgens. The more 1930s cards the more I want. Other than that nothing too extraordinary, though there were a couple of cards, including the rookie, of borderline HOFer Ron Santo.
This week's was better, but only because I upped a couple of bids late. I guess I'm going to have to up my game for the Musials and Spahns of the world that I still need. I even dipped into football which I don't usually do, got some dollar stars and two from the beautiful 1962 set. Speaking of beautiful those Bell Potato Chips Dodgers cards are another favorite of mine.
Other eBay pickups recently include this solid 1957 lot. The top three are all available for trade.
Four unique 1960 Topps high-number All Stars. All have the names of football players who were playing at the time. I got this lot to get a cheap Maris; happened to need Crandall too. My other copies of Skowron and Lollar are in pretty good shape and I'm happy to trade those copies (or these if someone prefers)..
Other pickups included Yankees great Whitey Ford . . .
. . . and his batterymate, Elston Howard.
This is a terrific pickup for my 1968 set.
Another big time pickup - this was in a lot with a torn '69 Johnny Bench. I already had a '69 Bench, and knew of an OBCer who needed one, so I worked out a trade with him and the better copy is already in the mail.
Always happy to grab another Willie Mays.
Finally, a '52 Johnny Mize. I paid $8 which is more than I would have liked to have spent, I was hoping to win a few from one seller and combine shipping but it didn't work out. Still, I don't mind too much because it's a great card of a Yankee Hall-of-Famer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment