Friday, August 28, 2020

Cards and vintage things: Not a matchbook. Really!

 I've been posting a lot of matchbook content lately. To answer a question from last time, I have a few of my favorites on display, some more favorites in an album I am still working on, and the remainder in a couple of big 24-pocket expanding folders sorted by state. 

This came out of my latest matchbook lot but it's not a matchbook. It's two Butter-Nut Coffee sewing kits shaped like matchbooks, designed to fit in a lady's purse. This was a brand that was big in the 1960s. In 1966, they did a promotion to win a Mickey Mantle glove. Naturally, anything with Mantle's name on it goes for big bucks today - a mint coffee can with the promotion can go for $60.

I don't have a '66 Mantle, of course, so I paired the kits with a card commemorating a home run Mantle hit on July 3, 1966 off of Washington's Pete Richert. Mantle hit a solo HR in the first inning. The Yankees eventually went out to a 5-0 lead, blew the lead, and won it 6-5, with Bobby Richardson hitting a home run in the top of the 11th.



2 comments:

  1. Matches, sewing and coffee but the Mantle make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool. I know that there used to be collectors of sewing kits out there, but I'm guess that their numbers have dropped off over the years -- I can't imagine the kids having much interest in them.

    ReplyDelete