Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Some cards and a question

Question first. Due to my location in one of the worst-hit parts of the country, and some medical issues in my family, I'm not going to the post office anytime soon. However I really want to start sending cards back to all the people who are sending cards to me, so I want to start doing PWEs. In the past with PWEs I've still gone to the post office to make sure the postage is right. I've been leery of just throwing a stamp or two on and then getting it returned-to-sender (which has happened to me in the past, even when using the machine in the post office). For you PWE veterans, what are your guidelines on the number of cards you can send with one stamp, or two stamps (or three?). I have been using the "three pockets of a nine-pocket page" method but am open to other suggestions for packaging as well. Thanks in advance!

Here are cards from two people I am planning to send PWE's to real soon. One is for the Time Travel Trade at Diamond Jesters. I have a return ready for this great '63 Pinson he sent me.
Another PWE I need to send out is for Johnny's Trading Spot's bingo game. Johnny is the master of blog games. Here is what I got in the latest Big Fun Game. I don't collect Wacky Packages so I'd be happy to send these off in another PWE to someone who does. Also - there's my raffle ticket for yet another of Johnny's awesome games. I figure if I post the photo of it I don't have to worry about losing it, which knowing me is a real possibility.

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad you like it! The employee at my post office basically explained it depends on how rigid the envelope is. If it is flexible enough to get through their automatic sorter, then most cards will be fine with just a stamp. I paid a little extra to have a non-machinable stamp added to your Pinson, but as you know the packing was otherwise very basic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and if you find anyone who collects those Wackys, let me know! I got the Wacky lot in last Friday's game!

      Delete
  2. No no no. You can not lose the ticket. That's is part of the whole thing. You see If your ticket is drawn at the end of the year, you have to return it to me to get a really nice prize.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Over the years, I've gotten away with sending 12 cards with 1 stamp, no issues. Then as the postage starting rising, they were getting "tightier". I now send between 6-9 in the 1/3 of a nine pocket page. Depends if there are any thick or heavy cards. Most cases I just go with 6 and not worry about it getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to stick with 8 cards to a PWE (2 stacks of 4). Never had a problem there.

    I did a big Guide to Shipping Sports Cards Safely and Cheaply post a couple years ago with more tips for PWEs as well as info on sending packages without having to go to the post office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree with 8 cards being the magic maximum number. If you weigh an envelope that has more than that, you'll likely end up at more than an ounce, which means another 15 cents postage. And with more than 8, you need to worry about the envelope getting to rigid, too. If I have maybe 10 or 12 cards to send, I'll sometimes just use two separate PWEs just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're going to to do the pocket page thing, my only advice would be to put some thin cardboard on both sides of it (like that of a cereal box), nine cards with the two cardboard pieces will usually cost you one forever stamp, and one additional ounce stamp ($0.15). It might cost a little more, but the cards will certainly be safer. I've received a couple of 3-page pocket PWE's this year without any protection, and every time there's been a couple of damaged cards in the batch, damage that happened during their trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My post office (actually the PO at the town next over) is great about saving customers money and explaining the cheapest way to ship. I send all my PWEs (up to 15 cards in a 1/3 page, like you do) with a 70c stamp and have had no problems. Anything heavier than that and I slap an extra stamp on the envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for asking this questions. I was curious about that myself.

    ReplyDelete