Sunday, February 12, 2017

1989 Spokane Indians at the mall - Dave Staton

Here it is, the final card from the three Spokane Indians sets. (That 1986 set is still out there but I am not paying $100+ for a minor league card set, even a rare one.) First baseman Dave Staton came up with the Padres in 1993 and hit 5 HR and had 9 RBI in just 17 games, after hitting .315 with 25 HR and 71 RBI at AAA Las Vegas. I thought he would be a big star when I saw those numbers on the back of his 1994 Topps card, the first time I had heard of him. I didn't realize at the time that offensive numbers in the PCL are greatly inflated, and indeed Staton did little more in the majors, washing out after hitting .182 with 4 HR and 6 RBI in 29 games in 1994. A fuller account of his career can be found at The Greatest 21 Days.

Staton is at Mother's Cupboard, a natural foods and supplements store started in 1977 and still serving the Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho region. He is posing with Nature's Way products - the company was founded in 1968 and is also still going strong today, but appears to no longer be sold at Mother's - they don't have any Nature's Way products on their website.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I was excited for him too back then.. should have been the Mike Trout for 90s Padres, but couldn't handle major league pitching, I guess.

    This is the only Spokane mall card I own. Kinda cool that it's the finale. But I'm gonna miss the series here. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete