Saturday, June 23, 2012

Jeremy McGarity on baseball cards

Jeremy McGarity pitched in the Cardinals organization from 1989 to 1994. His best season was 1993, when he went 9-7 with a 3.89 ERA. Now pastor at Seven San Diego Church, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I love baseball cards! I grew up collecting them and hoping one day I could have my own baseball card.

I was disappointed when I signed with St. Louis and was sent to Peoria, AZ for rookie league and learned that we would NOT be getting a baseball card that year. I don't know why but we didn't get one done that year. Maybe they viewed that league as Pre-Rookie or something :)

Anyway, the next year in Johnson City I heard we would be getting baseball cards. After the season I received a package and opened it up an saw the one of me pitching in Johnson City. I was ecstatic! So thankful. And, It has remained my favorite card of all of them. A close second is a baseball card we did in Duluth, Mn. for the Dukes in the independent Northern League, 1996 or 1997 I think.

The other card I like is the Bowman 1992 card. It's unique in that I was in street clothes and I was named a top ten prospect during the off-season so it has some special meaning.

I rarely collect cards today but I still have a lot of cards from the 70's and 80's and I have some I got my kids going collecting from 2000's. Whenever there are card shows or a card shop (rare these days in San Diego) I look through the cards looking for my favorite players.

My favorite player of all time is Nolan Ryan. I have some of his cards and just really appreciate the way he went about the game. I am also a Babe Ruth fan. So, I've got some prints of him etc... "

Thanks! I conldn't find pictures of the Johnson City or Duluth cards.

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting next to him at Talbot School of Theology, right now. He just used my pen.

    ReplyDelete