Friday, May 27, 2022

Wood vs. Wood #93

Last time '62 won easily, 7-1. Who will triumph this time?

Topps may have insisted on calling him John, but he was always known as Johnny Blanchard. He gets a classic photo holding four bats with the Yankee Stadium facade in the background. Called "the most famous third-string catcher in history", Blanchard sat behind Elston Howard and Yogi Berra on the Yankees' depth chart but managed some big moments. He was a reliable pinch hitter with considerable power. In 1961 he hit 21 home runs in 243 at-bats, including four straight at one point, and hit .400 with two home runs in the World Series. Overall, in 516 games, mostly with the Yankees, he hit .239 with 67 HR and 200 RBI. After his career he owned several business in the Minneapolis area. He died in 2009.

Jim Leyland never played a game in the major leagues, but he managed 3,497 of them. He gets a pretty good dugout pose, with some overturned yellow helmets in the foreground. He was barely over 500 as a manager (1,769-1,728, .506 winning percentage) but had several significant highlights, most notably winning the World Series for the Marlins in 1997, and pennants for the Tigers in 2006 and 2012. He also won three straight NL east titles for the Pirates, 1990-1992. He is now a special assistant for the Tigers.



9 comments:

  1. Looks like one of those Bill Wetmore cards :) ... Going with Blanchard because I like multi-bat photos too much. Leyland is a worthy foe though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough choice. Leyland is very nice, but Blanchard is even better. I'll go with 62 today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tough one, but going with my first instinct and voting Leyland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Matt. My first instinct was Leyland, so he gets my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, this is the first time in a while that I've liked both cards. I think I'll go Leyland out of anti-Yankee sentiment more than anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. Is four bats too much? I do like the card and the Yankee Stadium backdrop, but I think I have to go with Mr. Leyland, his pillbox hat, and the dugout scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toughest one yet, but I'm going with Leyland.

    ReplyDelete