Saturday, May 14, 2022

Variety pack from The Best Bubble

I got a fun package from The Best Bubble with a variety of fun items.

The bulk of it was vintage baseball card set needs.

Eight from '68 - all high numbers!

Some semi-highs from the late 60s/early 70s.
Six semi-highs from '71.

There was one other vintage "card", a very interesting oddball that I'd never seen before. In 1970 the District of Columbia DMV issued a "card" sheet of Senators players with traffic safety tips. I wasn't even sure it was considered a card, but it's in TCDB and Beckett. My Beckett book says it was printed on "thin cardboard" - it's actually a piece of paper barely thicker than computer paper. It's probably the "nice" paper the DMV used at the Xerox machine for projects like this one. Calling it cardboard is a stretch. Nevertheless it's a very cool oddball addition to my vintage collection.

Here's the back. Look all ways before crossing the street!

Baseball was not the only kind of card Bob sent. I'm not one of those collectors who seeks out these sort of cards, but I don't mind an occasional package brightened up with leggy cards like these.

Bob also sent along a couple of matchbooks. Matchbooks from restaurants owned by baseball or football players are some of my favorites, so I really like that Pete Rose. The Inverness Club has hosted many major golf tournaments so that one is sports-related too.

Finally, the most unusual item in the package, though it makes sense that it comes from the biggest bubble fan out there. This is an unopened package of New York Yankees gum, officially licensed by MLB. A quick Google search indicates that these were produced in 1993. I'm certainly not going to open it, but it's a fun little add to my collection.






3 comments:

  1. Great variety. Pretty sure this is the first time I've ever seen a Pete Rose matchbook and a pack of Yankees chewing gum in the same post. Actually... it might be the first time I've seen either of those very cool items.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received an amazing box from The Best Bubble yesterday, too. I'll post on it tonight. Holy crikey. Got some Dodgers gum sticks, too. Looks ancient but it's only from the '90s.

    I have a couple of those Senators traffic "cards". They are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lee Maye was also a professional singer.

    ReplyDelete