Friday, November 6, 2020

Semi-high, all-awesome

 I recently did a vintage trade with It's Like Having My Own Card Shop, and got 40 semi-high number needs for my 1970 Topps set. I have the complete Series I for '70 but am quite lacking in the later series. Rather than show all the cards, I found that certain cards could be grouped together.

Some Hall of Famers.
Three Pilots that never were, including new manager Dave Bristol. These photos were taken in Spring Training 1970 - the move to Milwaukee wasn't announced until right before the start of the season.
Six team cards. I like the batboys in the team jackets on the Angels card, and the spring training background on the Pirates card. Also, thanks to a recent Night Owl post, I knew to look for coach Joe DiMaggio on the A's card.
These aren't quite at Jim Fregosi or Luis Alvarado level, but here are two Dodgers pitchers in front of a chain link fence with visible cars in the parking lot.
This card stands out by itself. Like Claude Raymond a few years earlier, Norm Cash pranked the Topps photographer by posing with his fly open.




3 comments:

  1. I didn't know of an open fly card other than Mr. Raymond. Good find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great group of cards here. The Pilots cards are always crowd-pleasers, but I like seeing the early Oakland A's uniforms, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claude Raymond, Norm Cash, Clayton Kershaw... someone could start their very own "open fly" PC.

    ReplyDelete