Saturday, November 7, 2020

1981 Topps Bruce Kimm

 

The front: Kimm is looking very serious, from his grim expression to his no-nonsense collared shirt. It would have been even better if the White Sox wore neckties with those jerseys.

The back: Kimm caught all of Fidrych's starts in 1976. In 1977 he did not start The Bird's first two games, both of which he lost. He then caught Fidrych's next six starts, all wins, before the pitcher's unfortunate career-wrecking injury.

The player: Outside of catching Fidrych, Kimm had an unremarkable, fairly brief career. In fact, 1980 was his last season.

The man: Kimm coached for several major league teams and was interim manager of the Cubs in 2002.

My collection: I have three cards of his, from 1977 to 1981. I would be interested in trading for 1980 Chicago Tribune Chicago White Sox Scrapbook #NNO.



1 comment:

  1. Those collared shirts look strange no matter how many times I see them. I was too young to remember Kimm as a player but I do recall seeing him as a coach.

    ReplyDelete