Monday, March 4, 2019

1976 SSPC Part III

The last part of the set is an eclectic mix. Some multi-player checklist cards, some minor leaguers and some coaches.

Here's a great photo of stylish Maury Wills, then a TV announcer, posing with John Knox, who had a brief career as a speedy outfielder for the Tigers.
 There is a corrected version of this error card. For me I only need to have one version of a card for a set to count as complete. This version is considered slightly rarer than the corrected.
 There are some rather random minor league cards, I guess whomever SSPC could get a photo of. Great Mud Heds patch on Larry Cox here.
 Ike Hampton was one of a few Tidewater Tides in this set.
 This photo of Ken Conroy in what I believe is a Midland Cubs uniform is one of my favorite in the set. Just a terrific baseball photo.
Most of the coach cards were former big league stars, but not all. Ralph Rowe was a long-time Twins third base coach, now all but forgotten.
 Richmond Braves cap on Frank LaCorte.
 Blogger favorite (well, one blogger) Billy Muffett as an Angels pitching coach.
 Finally, the always intimidating Ted Kluszewski lurks in this great card.

3 comments:

  1. Hit me up if anyone needs singles from this part of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I like the Conroy card in particular. Until I started reading baseball card blogs I'd never seen any SSPC cards. I've got a handful but they don't look quite as sharp as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... that Conroy is sweet! Not an angle we get to see very often.

    ReplyDelete