Saturday, January 28, 2017

Terrmel Sledge on baseball cards

Outfielder Terrmel Sledge played four seasons in the major leagues for Montreal, Washington and San Diego. His best season was 2004, when he hit .269 with 15 HR and 62 RBI for the Expos. Now a minor league hitting coach in the Dodgers organization, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I remember as a child I use to ride my bike to the local liquor stores to buy packs of baseball cards which seemed like everyday. I would harass my mother for just a few bucks so by a small chance I would get one legit card within the ten packs I purchased. 

I don't have a favorite card of myself, but I do remember my most favorite card which I believe was a Darryl Strawberry 1984 Fleer card. He was by far my favorite player and I used to always watch him playing on television playing in right in the old Shea Stadium. I would always tell myself,"One day I will be in that exact same spot!" In 2004, my rookie year, I found myself playing right field in Shea Stadium...it was a thrill!"

Thanks!



2 comments: