Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Gary Majewski on baseball cards

Gary Majewski pitched six seasons in the major leagues for Montreal, Washington, Cincinnati and Houston. In 231 games, all in relief, he went 9-13 with 2 saves and a 4.76 ERA. Now the General Manager of D-BAT West Houston, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I remember when I was in Burlington, Iowa, Topps came into town and I had to sign 1,000 cards in one sitting. For most people it wouldn't be a problem. Since my first and last name have 12 letters in it it took a long time. Being drafted out of high school also made it difficult since I never really had to have a professional signature. Now I tell you, signing 1,000 cards at a time will shorten that signature up real quick. It took me just over two hours to complete. Before I found the signature I have today it took me 1 minute to sign 10 cards. You do the math on that one haha. Once I got the hang of a short version of my signature I was able to double my production time. 
My favorite card is one of me in the 2000 Burlington Bees blue uniform. I'm wearing my glasses cause my contacts were bothering me. I have a mean look on my face and it looks like I'm about to throw the ball really hard. 
I used to collect baseball cards as a kid. I still have quite a few boxes of them stashed away in our garage. Being in Houston my favorite player was Bagwell but I always used to trade for any David Justice and Frank Thomas cards I could find. It has been a long time since I pulled those things out and I have no idea what I have."

Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment