Monday, September 17, 2012

Player Profile: Jay Baller


I have four Jay Baller cards. This one is from 1986 Donruss.

Playing career: Jay Baller pitched parts of six seasons for the Phillies, Cubs and Royals, going 4-9 with 6 saves and a 5.24 ERA.

Interesting facts: Baller very nearly died after the 1987 season after a mysterious toxic poisoning that some thought was brought about by drug use. It was later officially ascribed to bad shellfish. Baller might not have been using drugs then, but he certainly was more recently – he was sentenced to probation in 2008 for cocaine possession.

Where he is now: He gives private baseball instruction in Pennsylvania.

My memories: Only know him from his card.

Google Autocomplete Results: He is fifth when you type Jay Bal, between Jay Bilas, a college basketball announcer, and J Balvin a reggaeton singer. There do not appear to be any other prominent Jay Ballers.

Coming up next: The next profile will be Khalid Ballouli.

1 comment:

  1. Jay baller was interesting to me, even when I was a teenager. Never knew he almost died, and that he is a drug addict. Hope he recovers. I did hope him and Jeff Ballard faced each other. I didn't find anything. Too bad. I think it would've been interesting. Guess I have to put a fantasy baseball matchup game against these two and see who wins. Thanks for the profile on Jay baller and Jeff ballard

    ReplyDelete