A house in my neighborhood had a yard sale yesterday, and I noticed afterward that they had put lots of full boxes out for garbage. An old lady was there picking, and once I saw what was in the boxes I joined her. We had different interests and were looking out for things for each other. When I told my wife about it, she said it's like little kids becoming best friends for 20 minutes on the playground. (And don't worry, we left everything very neat when we were done!)
I was able to fill a big box with a variety of interesting old things, mostly publications of some sort. The kind of eclectic random stuff that fits nicely into my random collection of old stuff. All of this stuff I enjoy, but very little needs to stay with me permanently, so if you see anything of interest, let me know!
This was the only thing baseball card related. It's less interesting than it looks, just a rundown of the top 120 stars and rookies and what their '87 cards might be worth.
Here's an example of the inside.This was probably the oldest thing I kept, a 1933 Eddie Cantor Picture Book from NBC Radio (really more of a foldout poster with articles).A 1973 German music magazine, Musik Expess. If any of the publications in this post are interesting to readers, I'd be happy to do individual posts on them. I know there are a lot of music lovers on the blogs.The magazine had some sort of cards inside.I looked for the Rod Stewart on TCDB but I didn't see it.11 years of the Rolling Stones, alongside a German Clearasil ad.Here's another baseball-related item. A reprint of a Willie Mays drawing, distributed by Equitable Life. I see TCDB does consider this a card, (c. 1967-1973), so I guess I can consider it a card for my collection!Some 1960s spinner-rack refugees! Get Smart is my favorite TV show. I used to have all of these novels, nice to get this one back. They're not much like the show but still kind of a fun read. I've never read a Doc Savage novel but I'll give it a try.These are much more recent than the other publications. Two fancy-looking comic books from 2008. I've never heard of Aquablue but I'll give it a try.New York World's Fair! I definitely should have more items from this in my collection. This will be a fun little read, bascially a small promotional newspaper.Another European music magazine. Circus Magazine from 1983.Judas Priest is one of my favorite bands, so this is a fun one for me. Though personally I find reading about music not nearly as fun as listening to it.An assortment of old post cards and stamps. A lot of items from the various World's Fairs of the 1960s to the 1980s in the US or Canada.
New old stock! This box is taped up, the Kard Kaddie presumably still inside. As you can see from the bottom this predates the use of zip codes in the mid-1960s.A TV Guide from Christmas, 1976. Not a lot of content inside other than the TV listings, but still fun to have.This is unusual, and I'm not too sure what it is. They are glossy printed photos, all with the same instructions on the back. PM Magazine was a syndicated news show in the late 1970s and early 1980s.Doing a little bit of research, I figured out that this mystery autograph was Wesley Walker, #85 on the Jets.A whole lot of 1969 and 1970 issues of Collector's Weekly newspaper, starting with the first issue. It will be interesting to see if there is anything baseball card related in these. They look like they have been folder for decades (each is about ten newspapers folded into each other), so I imagine the process of opening up each one and reading them may be difficult. I can't find out much about this publication online. There is a website with this name but it appears to be unrelated.Finally, some more fun New Old Stock. These are not in the best shape, but still pretty cool. There's Dick Clark (who is still in plastic but has detached from the cardboard) and Ricky Nelson. Looks like sealed packages are not that hard to find - eBay and other sources seem to date these to c. 1958-1960.




















No comments:
Post a Comment