Thursday, December 28, 2017

Cale Iorg on baseball cards

Shortstop Cale Iorg played seven seasons of professional baseball, mostly in the Tigers organization. The son of Garth Iorg and nephew of Dale Iorg, both of whom had lengthy major league careers, he hit .215 with 41 HR, 175 RBI and 67 SB in 548 games. Now a Senior Loan Officer at Supreme Lending in Alpharetta, GA, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I did have card books as a kid, but my childhood was blessed in that those guys on the cards were right in front of me. Because of that, I never really got too into card collecting, though I did have them.  I think the most fun thing surrounding cards now is when a co-worker tells me they saw my card online or someone will text me a picture of my dad’s or uncle’s cards that they found going through old boxes at home. 

My favorite card memory is the first time I saw my own card.  The Topps rep came to my house and I had to sign 1,000 cards and he watched me sign them all. It was crazy. Again, blessed to have had the opportunity to do that on a few occasions.  I also remember at my first spring training and there was my card a little girl asked me to sign.  It was pretty surreal.  I never got tired of signing my cards for people who asked, it always seemed like a “pinch me” moment."

Thanks! I don't have that card, but here is one from my collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment