Thursday, October 24, 2013

Tim Delgado on baseball cards

Tim Delgado pitched four seasons in the Cubs organization, reaching as high as AA before injuries sidelined his career. In 130 games he went 23-24 with 9 saves and a 3.45 ERA. Now President of Read King Medical Development in Houston, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"Attached are a few of my favorite cards.  The first is an All-Star card from my time with the Cubs, the second is from my first season in Asia, and the last card is just one of many Cubs cards…but I liked the way it was framed a bit off-center and caught me after a follow-through on a pitch in the bullpen (a bit different that most of my other cards).
 
I was in the Cubs organization from 1990-1994, then to Asia for a year, and then back to sign a split contract with the Cleveland Indians in 1995 where I started the season in AAA Buffalo but was sidelined for the season with the first of my three elbow surgeries over the next five years.

I was paid by the Indians through 2000 (when I retired), but also jumped back to Asia in 1997 and 1999 while I was recovering from additional elbow surgeries.  I can’t complain though, as there were many players with a ton of talent that were knocked out of the game even sooner that I was.  I got paid to play a game for 11 years…..even though my right arm was in a sling for much of the last five seasons!  lol.

I never did collect cards, as I was always moving and didn’t have many possessions other than a couple big duffle bags of clothes and baseball gear during those days!  lol"

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment