Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Terry Adams on baseball cards

Terry Adams pitched for eleven seasons in the major leagues, winning 51 games and saving 42. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

- Do you have any stories about cards of yourself or of other players?
My first professional card was in Huntington with the Cubs. My left eye was shut due to sun in my eyes! I only got a few cards my first year and can't recall even if I have one. I never got a card when I was with the Red Sox in 2004. I really wish I had had one taken to remember that special year (maybe there is one, haven't seen one ever).

- Do you have a favorite card of yourself or of another player?
I have a couple cards I really like. One was a prodigy card and the other was one with a batting helmet on (weird for a relief pitcher). I think the rarest card I have is a Kevin Tapani card when he was with the White Sox but it has my name at the top. I played with Kevin for the Cubs.


- Do you collect baseball cards?I used to collect cards when I was a kid. I have sets of cards at my parents. I would take my money and buy the cards with the gum inside. I love that gum. It was like Christmas getting a Tim Raines, Reggie Jackson, Nolan Ryan or any Cubs card back in the day.

Thanks! As far as I can tell, Adams didn't have any cards with the Red Sox. I also couldn't find any Tapani cards with Adams's name on it, and I'm not sure what a prodigy card is (I'll ask). Any help from you readers would be great.

While I don't have any of the cards he mentioned, I do have this card from 1997 Fleer.

2 comments:

  1. Good interview. I have no idea what a Prodigy card is either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His Red Sox tenure was really, really short. Acquired in late July, hung around til the World Series, but didn't pitch in the playoffs at all. Still would've been cool to give him a card, but instead his 2005's are all Phillies once again. Strange.

    ReplyDelete