Saturday, January 15, 2022

Hollywood bit players on baseball cards: Part 13

Today's bit player made his acting debut in the 1982 classic Q, The Winged Serpent. If you like cheesy horror movies and early '80's NYC, like I do, then you will love this film. In this scene our actor, playing Detective Hoberman, fires at an ancient winged serpent from the nest the creature had made at the top of the Chrysler Building.

He appeared as a member of the house band in a 1987 episode of Murder, She Wrote. (He is the man on the far left.)

His final acting appearance was in a 1990 episode of Columbo, as a member of a regular poker game.

Surely you recognized blogger favorite Ron Cey! Cey did a fair amount of acting, though mostly after he left the L.A. Dodgers. He appeared as himself in quite a few 1980s TV shows: Pryor's Place, E/R, Hardcastle & McCormick, Simon & Simon. I guess he missed Hollywood after he joined the Cubs.

Here are my earliest and last cards of The Penguin.






5 comments:

  1. I've seen Q twice and somehow never knew that Ron Cey was in it--D'OH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I had a total brain fart and couldn't come up with the name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew who it was the second you said Q. I absolutely adore that film!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've featured Cey and Q on my blog. The Murder She Wrote gig is one I didn't know. He was also in a Lite Beer commercial.

    ReplyDelete