Wednesday, January 19, 2022

Bird, Ballpark, Boxing, Beatles and beyond from the Best Bubble

I got another surprise envelope from the ever-generous Best Bubble

Half of the cards in the envelope were some great on-card Yankee autographs from the early '80s. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but Bird's autograph actually looks like a drawing of a bird.

The Comiskey Park card is from a White Sox team-issued set from 1988. The Red Kleinow card is a 1982 Renata Galasso reprint of a 1911 Turkey Red card. And while I don't collect boxing, that Muhammad Ali card is pretty cool too.

This was the most interesting card in the package. It's a Beatles arcade card from the 1960s. It looks like the Exhibits arcade cards that vintage baseball collectors are familiar with. 

Exhibits did make Beatles cards but those were blank on the back. This one is not. Not sure who the manufacturer is for these. I've seen some references to Billboard, not sure if that is the magazine or a different company.

It wasn't until the last few years that I started appreciating the Beatles' music. This is a cool addition to my general "vintage stuff" collection.

3 comments:

  1. I'm a huge Beatles fan; I've hosted Beatles radio shows, read dozens of Beatles books, attended fan conventions, and on and on.

    Until now I have never heard Paul referred to as "The Bouncy Beatle".

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Exhibit card is cool. I've enjoyed listening to the Beatles since I was a kid. I'll still play them for my students at least once a semester and use them in a Name That Tune challenge I play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Beatles Exhibit card is awesome. That's got to be the shortest I've ever seen their hair.

    ReplyDelete