Friday, October 30, 2020

Vintage backgrounds: Argument at Wrigley Field

 The best cards in the 1961 set might just be the checklists, which feature action shots at Wrigley Field, the most action photography Topps had used to that point. One of them featured Cubs manager Lou Boudreau in an argument with the umpire, possibly the first manager-umpire argument on a baseball card. According to Baseball-Reference, Boudreau was ejected once in 1960, but I could not figure out which game. Don Zimmer once again makes a cameo - he is #17. (#10 is Ron Santo, #40 Glen Hobbie)



3 comments:

  1. You've got to wonder what the original owner who checked off those cards did with the collection. Those Yaz and Musial cards would be nice to still have I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat. I hadn't seen a checklist from this year before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the better checklists from the era. I've got a copy in my Boudreau collection.

    ReplyDelete