Friday, October 23, 2020

Cards and Vintage Things: Taste that beats the others cold . . .

 This is something I got a few weeks ago and am really enjoying it. As you may know I really like the late 1960s yellow-bordered Pepsi signs, which can still occasionally be found on older stores. Actually owning one isn't really realistic, old signs even from that era are very expensive. However, I found this great item on eBay that really fits the bill.

This is a thick cardboard wall calendar mount - it would have had a monthly calendar hung under the Pepsi logo, and would have been on the wall of an establishment that sold Pepsi. Even this kind of "sign" can regularly go for well over $100, but this one is a little rough in condition and is missing the calendar and it's mounts, so I was able to nab it for under $30. I was more interested in it as a "sign" so wasn't bothered about the missing calendar. While deciding where to hang it I stuck it on top of a window frame. I then realized that was actually the perfect place for it. In my "office" - a small converted bedroom - it stands out quite nicely.

This was a 1970 calendar issued by the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Indianapolis. In 1970, Giants catcher Dick Dietz, who grew up near Indianapolis, had his best season and made the NL All Star team.



2 comments: