Tuesday, October 20, 2020

'61 Topps: Wasted opportunity?

 I really like the design of the '61 Topps set. The clean, sparse border allows plenty of room for the picture, which should have made this an all-time great set like '57. However, Topps botched it by overwhelmingly using plain headshots. You can see this in this recent lot of '61s I picked up. I never got the $25 eBay coupon it seems everyone else did, but I was able to massage $1.40 of extra bucks and the sellers' combined shipping to win three five card lots of '61 for under a quarter apiece.
As you can see there are two copies of #212 Haywood Sullivan, if anyone wants to trade for one.

Most of these cards have some kind of scribbled word or name on the back. But I took this photo to highlight the cartoon. Jim Brosnan's book was the first baseball tell-all and was somewhat controversial; I'm kind of surprised Topps made a cartoon about it.


5 comments:

  1. This set is a little bland, so I see what you mean by lost opportunity. I still like it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to think that the expansion draft had something to do with all the hatless players in the '61 Topps set. There's probably a bunch in the 1962 set, and less in '63 - though someone with more experience in vintage than me would have a better idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to build this set back in the late 90s. I chose 61 Topps because of its clean and simple design. When I left the hobby in 2002 or so, I sold it. And yes, it included the Mantle and all the cards were in excellent condition, crease free with no more than one soft corner. Argh!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cracks me up when I see names written on the back of cards. I never did that myself, but I can see why people did it. Same reason I wrote my names in my books when I was a kid. The only reason I didn't do it to my cards is that they were already collectible by the early 80's when I started collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may be bland, but it's still a popular set to collect, or at least it is with older collectors.

    ReplyDelete