Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Brian Harrison on baseball cards

Brian Harrison pitched in the Padres organization from 1987 to 1990. After a breakout year in 1990, when he went 5-2 with 18 saves and a 1.19 ERA at Class-A Riverside, he was a Rule V pick by the White Sox and pitched for the major league team in 1991 spring training. Unfortunately injuries kept him out of baseball from 1991-1993, but he did stage a comeback in 1994 and 1995 with San Bernardino and Memphis. Overall he pitched in 221 minor league games, going 26-24 with 37 saves and a 3.83 ERA. Now a youth baseball coach in San Diego, he kindly answered my questions about cards.

"My personal favorites are my 1986 rookie card because it was literally taken just moments after my 1st pro start.
Next, the 1990 Riverside RedWave throwing 94 mph. Great shot at my peak.

And the next is 1994 San Bernardino Spirit, another action card and is the one I'm most proud of because I endured 2 elbow surgeries and countless hours of grueling training and physical therapy. I never threw 94 again more like 86 89 but I learned how to pitch.
I feel like Moonlight Graham. I got close to my dream and wish, one pitch and gone. But I sleep well because I made the big league club with the 91 Chi Sox. And that's all I have to say about that⚾️"

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool.

    Have you ever done a "behind the scenes" post about your process for doing these questionnaire posts? I'd be curious how you track guys down (Brian Harrison seems like it'd be a very common name!) and ask them questions. What is your success percentage with getting a response? etc

    ReplyDelete