Sunday, April 10, 2016

Street boxes are back

The weather is gotten warmer and the trading card street vendor on 37th and Broadway is back with more $3 boxes for me. He says there should be about three or four this time based on collections he's bought over the last few months. Like last time they are about 1,000 cards each, predominantly baseball with some other sports as well. This time there are going to be a lot more 80s and early 90s cards, which I generally don't need, but still enough stuff from the past 20 years to be worth it for me. Like last year, let me know if you want me to set aside any cards I get for trades. Not all the dupes are junk wax; in this box the traders include a bunch of early-80s Topps and Fleer, a few 1987 Fleer Baseball's Best, including Roger Clemens, and a whole lot of pack-fresh 1986 Topps, a set that mint cards are hard to come by due to the black borders.

Here are some highlights from the cards in the box that I did need for my collection.

Of the 100 or so cards that I needed, probably 90 were from 2001 and 2002 Fleer Tradition. Got a fair amount of dupes of these as well.
 I don't have any 2016's yet, so I haven't personally witnessed the supposedly awful photoshop/filtering going on. Still, this 2015 is pretty bad - in person it almost looks like 1980s style airbrushing.
This was probably the best card in the box. Slipped through because it had tape on all four sides - you might be able to tell from the photo. Fortunately condition does not matter to me.

4 comments:

  1. Seriously, $3 for 1000 cards? I'd buy all kinds of crap I didn't need for that price!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would do that too.. if nothing else to stock trade bait. What a deal! You might be able to get the tape off. I've successfully removed Scotch tape. Packing tape not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea - you take that deal regardless of the amount of junk wax. Definitely worth the gamble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and me both, lacking on this milleniums' Fleer Tradition cards.

    ReplyDelete