Saturday, April 30, 2016

Ryan Speier on baseball cards

Ryan Speier pitched for the Rockies from 2005 to 2009. In 90 games he went 7-3 with a 3.99 ERA. Now the owner of Speier Pitching Lessons in Tulsa, OK, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I began collecting baseball cards in 1986, and the 1986 Topps series was the first series of cards that I collected. I can remember going to 7-Eleven after a Little League game and my dad offering me my pick of one treat from the convenience store. I remember being torn between a Slurpee or a pack of baseball cards. Initially, I was more interested in the gum than the cards, but soon grew attached to the cards. Before long, I had the entire set from that year. I continued to collect baseball cards through the mid-90s and still have all my cards tucked away in storage. I plan to pass them on to my son when he's old enough to have an appreciation for them. 

Ever since Upper Deck cards came about, they've been my favorite brand. My favorite card of myself is from the 2008 Upper Deck series because the picture was taken from a 2007 World Series game. 


My favorite two cards are my Cal Ripken Jr. and Tony Gwynn rookie cards. These two gentlemen emulated what I believe a ballplayer should be while they're in uniform. "

Thanks! Here is a card of him from my collection, from 2005 Bowman Chrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment