Saturday, June 5, 2010

Best games of each decade

Over at 30 Year Old Cardboard there is an interesting challenge - what are the best games you've ever been to? I only go to a couple of games a year, and the games I go to seem to often be blowouts one way or the other. Still, here are the best games I went to for each decade.

1980s:
April 19, 1987. My first game was a doubleheader against Kansas City in 1987. The Yankees won both games with shutouts, the first of which was thrown by Charlie Hudson. The crowd chanting "Charlie, Charlie!" was really fun to my nine year old self, and to this day he remains one of my all-time favorite Yankees.

1990s:
June 27, 1998. Believe it or not, subway series games were not as hard to get as they are today. I think the influx of internet-based ticket services have made it a lot harder for ordinary folks to just buy a ticket to a game. In 1998 I went to the second of three subway series games in Shea Stadium. I took the subway with my dad, and even though it was the 7 to Shea Stadium, when we got there the conductor said "Let's go Yankees!" Beating the Mets at Shea was fun. This picture is from that game - Tino was the big hero with a three run home run.

2000s:
June 5, 2008. I always wanted to go to a game with a walk-off win. Jason Giambi delivered to seal a great comeback win - the Yankees actually looked awful all game, but they rallied in the ninth off of B.J. Ryan. He was supposed to be one of the game's great closers until too many games like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment