Monday, September 5, 2016

Baseball card story from Mickey Pina

Outfielder Mickey Pina played five seasons in the Red Sox organization, three of them at AAA. His best season was 1988, when he hit .273 with 21 HR and 108 RBI for Lynchburg, leading him to be Carolina League MVP. He kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"I do have a story about my Score card. It was in spring training, I hit a home run off of Mark Davis. He was the reigning Cy Young winner with Kansas City. He got me to a 3-2 count and I fouled off a couple of pitches. I walked out of the box, thinking I was going to strike out. Tony Pena was in the dugout and went up to the top step. He had played against him in the National League. He yelled out “Watch for the curveball!” I waited for the curveball and hit it, it took off and went a mile, out of the ballpark.


I had a great collection of NFL and MLB cards from the ‘60s and ‘70s. I sold them all years ago. I do still have a great collection of Sports Illustrated. I have every issue from 1965 to 1980 in trunks in my basement."

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment