Tuesday, March 22, 2016

BJ Barns on baseball cards

Outfielder BJ Barns played in the Pirates organization from 1999 to 2003. In 530 games he hit .251 with 39 HR and 249 RBI. Now pharmacist at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center in New Hampshire, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"My favorite card is probably the Bowman card because they made a few finishes to it. This is despite the fact that everybody looks at it and says "did you have mullet?" No, it's a shadow!! My wife things my Williamsport Crosscutters card from the team set is hilarious because it say my favorite food is steak and fries. Who puts food preferences on the back of a baseball card anyway? I guess when it's your first year and there aren't any professional stats to fill in the void they do that.
 
I don't collect them anymore but did until I got into high school. My dad started me with a 1987 Topps set (Bonds rookie card) and he gave me his old collection from the early sixties (he had 3 1961 Mantle cards plus a few other good ones). I bought the first Upper Deck set (with Griffey's rookie card), its MSRP value skyrocketed shortly afterward. For some unknown reason (probably to show it off or put it in a special case) I separated the Griffey card from the rest and now I can't find the damn thing."

 Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment