Saturday, March 27, 2010

Baseball card story from Jim Beattie

Jim Beattie pitched nine seasons in the major leagues for the Yankees and Mariners. He had a complete game victory in game five of the 1978 World Series for the Yankees against the Dodgers. After his playing career, he has become a baseball executive. The General Manager of the Expos from 1995 to 2001 and the Orioles from 2003 to 2005, he is currently a Major League Scout for the Toronto Blue Jays. He shared with me this story from his playing days:

"The only story I can think of is connected with Mothers Cookies cards from Oakland CA (no longer being printed) while I was with the Mariners. Mothers has one card of me in catchers gear and in a crouch, like I am receiving a pitch. They listed my position as PC, which many people thought was pitcher/catcher, but which they told me stood for "privileged character." They caught me in a playful mood one day when taking pictures and I decided to do something different from the ordinary pose for a pitcher."

Thanks!

David from TribeCards found a picture of the 1985 Mothers card - it is in the middle of this picture. (There is a link to the ebay auction in the comments of this post).

Here is a Beattie from my collection, from the 1979 Yankees Burger King set.

2 comments: