Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Equipment: 1986 Topps

Byron Lee Tunnell's glove has his initials, BLT, written on his glove. The bacon lettuce tomato sandwich goes back to the early 20th century, but it's nickname became popular in the 1970s. It looks like it says Ph.1 underneath BLT. I don't know what that means.

It's always so hard to read the names on the barrels of the bats. I think the name on Ramirez's bat says BEVACQUA. It looks easier to see in person. But I could be wrong.
This photo would have been unremarkable in 1985 Topps. Dwyer changed to number 9 during the 1984 season, as Jim Traber took #28. That means this photo was at least a year out of date.
On to the Traded set. I presume 67 was Allanson's spring training number. He made the team in spring training and was given the number 6.
John Kruk was another player who made his debut on Opening Day, 1986. He wore #44, not #7. During the season #7 was worn by Marvell Wynne. He was acquired in a trade right before opening day, so maybe Kruk wore #7 before the trade.

 

4 comments:

  1. Maybe not Ph1 but P#1, ranking himself as the best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want a BLT (butter no mayo) toasted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't had a BLT in decades... but when I was a kid, it was my favorite sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Mario. I hope that wasn't his only card.

    ReplyDelete