Sunday, February 11, 2024

Complete 1977 Kelloggs set

I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I'm not a huge fan of the vintage Kellogg's sets. Having grown up with Sportflics, a stationary lenticular image is not very interesting, and the generic backgrounds are a little bland too. Still, any vintage card is a good one, so I put a low bid on a 57-card lot, and won for not much more than a dime per card. I know so little about Kelloggs sets, that I didn't realize until I had the cards in hand that 57 cards meant a complete set!

I only had two cards in the set already, so this was almost all cards that were new to me. Here are some photos of the 55 new cards to me.

Part I

Part II
Part III
Here are the two I had already, these are both available for trade.
Those two happen to be two of the best players in the set. One thing that jumped out at me was that this clearly was not meant to be the 57 best players in baseball. I wonder how clear that was to kids at the time. There was relatively little star power in the set. I don't know if it had to do with licensing or what. It's not because all the teams had to be represented - you get Doug Rau instead of Don Sutton, Fred Norman instead of Johnny Bench, etc. While it's fun to get cards of guys like Tom Pquette and Bake McBride, it's puzzling to me how many great players at the time were left out. Reggie Jackson, Joe Morgan, Mike Schmidt, Tom Seaver, Gaylord Perry, Nolan Ryan, Catfish Hunter, Lou Brock, Carl Yastrzemski, Willie Stargell, Jim Palmer, Robin Yount, Carlton Fisk, Tony Perez, etc etc.


6 comments:

  1. Brett is the key card holding a value low of $8 and hi $20.00. There are also 4 variations for the 77' set.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a kid then, we were aware that not every player was a star and often wondered why they chose who they did. I think Kellogg's went out of its way to pick who they were up-and-comers (scouting was nearly as advanced then so there were obvious misses).

    I adore this set and I would trade every Sportflics card I have for one '70s Kellogg's card I need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pick-up. I like the Kelloggs sets, but get frustrated with curling and cracking. Curling and cracking are the reasons I haven't really gotten into collecting them. I do like the looks though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all lenticular cards... but especially Kelloggs from 1970 to 1983. Congratulations on this find. Didn't realize vintage Kelloggs prices were finally coming back to realistic prices. Maybe I can start working on my set builds again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who isn't that into them.

    ReplyDelete