Thursday, September 21, 2023

Post cards through time

I picked up a lot of four 1962 Post on eBay for $5. More than I would usually spend per card but for four big stars, no problem.

These cards were cut from their cereal boxes in 1962, but the owner obviously held onto to them for a long time after that. He was still updating them in 1966, when Bobby Richardson retired . . . 

. . . and the Braves moved to Atlanta. (Getting a vintage Hank Aaron card always makes my day!)
Seven years after the cards were cut from the box, the owner was still updating them. Billy Martin was first named manager of the Twins in 1969.

At some point in the 1970s, however, I guess the kid lost interest. By 1977, when Brooks Robinson finally retired, he was no longer updating his baseball cards.

On a completely different note, this is a 1961 Post card I received in an OBC package I've yet to show here. However this card seemed to fit well with this theme. Not the team name change this time, that was only in 1962. Post, like rival Kellogg, was based in Battle Creek, MI (Kellogg still is). So it amused me to see that last sentence - "Ken hails from Battle Creek, Mich., Cereal Capital of the World."



3 comments:

  1. Love seeing the transaction updates from collectors of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see some kid try to do this these days with one of the Chrome or Prizm cards.

    ReplyDelete