Friday, August 19, 2022

Texas-sized Nolan Ryan lot

I bought a lot of 350 Nolan Ryan cards for a dime each. Ryan's a great player, generally has good cards, but normally I wouldn't buy that many of a player at once. But one of the dime cards was this one:

I've always loved this card from afar, particularly for the RC Cola ad in the background. I know $35 for this card alone is a good price, but I would never pay $35 for just one card. Throw in 350 more cards that I may or may not need, and I'm in. 

The vast majority of the lot was cards from the early '90's (mostly 1991) Nolan Ryan sets that Pacific put out. They are nice looking cards, a lot of fun photos. Later on I'll do another post with some of my favorites. There was a lot of duplication, but I am now at about 80-90% complete on the first two series (#s 1-220). The stack on the right is the cards that I am keeping; the stack on the left is duplicates for trade. The card in the middle is a silver-bordered insert; those go for $10 or so apiece online, so that's a cool card to get.

There were about 60 other cards in the lot. Of those, I needed five. All oddballs, including my first 1990 Woolworth.
That leaves me with a lot of Ryan's to trade. Mainly junk wax, but a few older cards, and a few oddballs like Coca-Cola and Kay-Bee. Oddly, he doesn't seem to have much of a following around the blogs as you might expect for a player of his stature, but if you've ever thought of starting a Nolan Ryan PC, I can certainly make a nice starter lot for you.
Personally, I still find it amazing that a guy who was all over early 90s junk wax is also one of the most expensive players in late 60s/early 70s sets. That '71 Ryan will probably always be my oldest; there's no way a 1970, 1969 or especially 1968 is going to fall into my lap so easily.


7 comments:

  1. That 71 really is a great card. Congrats, great purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a box of that '91 Pacific Nolan Ryan set back in the day, and have a good amount of duplicates. If you're interested in completing the set I'll dig through and see what I can find for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were able to salvage a winner there, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A '71 Ryan for a dime? Wow. Heck of a bargain and I might have a few of the Coca-Cola Ryans if you need any.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an impressive purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 71t card is my oldest Ryan too... and I couldn't be happier. Love that card. Nice pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. His '71 card is much more interesting than any of his previous cards, so if you're gonna get a Ryan from this era; this is the one to get.

    ReplyDelete