Sunday, January 12, 2020

Wayne Kirby on baseball cards

Outfielder Wayne Kirby played eight seasons in the major leagues, mostly for the Indians. He finished fourth in the Rookie of the Year voting in 1993, hitting .269 with 6 HR, 60 RBI and 17 SB. Overall, in 516 career games he hit .252 with 14 HR, 119 RBI and 44 SB. Now the first base coach for the Padres, he kindly answered my questions about baseball cards.

"It was awesome to see my 1st TOPPS card, amazing knowing fans could collect them and know who I was.My favorite card was all rookie cards, becoming one of the best rookies that year. I don’t collect but I do collect baseballs for my son."


Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. I've got a couple of balls with his signature on them, from his time as an Orioles coach. He always seemed to be smiling, and was always generous signing for fans. I wish him tons of success in San Diego!

    ReplyDelete