Thursday, November 7, 2019

Richie Shaffer on baseball cards

Infielder Richie Shaffer was a first round pick of the Tampa Bay Rays in 2012, and played in the majors with them in 2015 and 2016. In November of 2016 he was traded to the Mariners, and then passed through both the Phillies and Reds organizations in December before ending up with the Indians in January. In 2017 and 2018 he played in the Indians' and Brewers' systems. Overall he played in 51 games in the major leagues, hitting .213 with 5 HR and 10 RBI. He played independent ball in 2019 and is now an aspiring fiction author, with a deal for his first novel. He kindly shared this baseball card story.

"I have a card of me in a Cincinnati Reds jersey that’s completely photoshopped lol. I never took that picture but I had just been claimed by the Reds and it looked as if I’d go to spring training with them so the company just took an old photo of me and put me in a Reds uni. I never stepped foot in a Reds facility haha"


Thanks! The Reds claimed him on December 23, 2016, and the Indians claimed him from the Reds on January 26, 2017, making his appearance on this card as a Cincinnati Red quite strange, though it does give you an idea of when Topps makes the cards for the Heritage set.

1 comment:

  1. I knew those dang Heritage cards were photoshopped! Though I did try to convince myself that all the players showed up at a pristine park for picture day haha.

    Very cool of Richie to answer your question. I'm curious to know what kind of novel he's working on.

    ReplyDelete