Sunday, May 19, 2019

The oldest cards in my collection

A while back Julie of A Cracked Bat showed some '51 and '52 Bowmans she picked up on the cheap at a card show, and was offering as they did not fit in her collection. I waited a few days to see if someone else would claim them, but no one did and so I scooped them up.

Three '52s and five '51s. Two players (Bob Cain and Johnny Groth) are represented in both sets. My favorite is King Kong Charlie Keller, a Yankee star from 1939 to 1949, pictured here as a Tiger. Certainly this is my first card of a former teammate of Lou Gehrig. These cards look absolutely fantastic and have certainly whetted my appetite for more.
 Julie even through in a few more vintage cards. I already had Pappas and Wert so they are up for trade. Don Wilson and Jim Perry are now my first cards from the inaugural Kellogg's set (1970).
Thanks Julie!

4 comments:

  1. YW! I found both Kelloggs in a DIME box. People are nuts which is certainly great when we can benefit from their insanity!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic package. I shouldn't have passed on those, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vintage Bowmans and Kelloggs? It doesn't get much better than that. Another awesome package from ACB!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling when I saw these that you might end up getting a few :)

    ReplyDelete